A staple of college students everywhere; it’s pretty much universally agreed that mac ‘n cheese is outstanding. Whether it’s made from scratch, loaded with bacon, or straight from the box, it warms us on the hardest of days.
Matt Real Food By Dad has come up with an clever and simple way to satisfy his family’s cravings. How you might ask? By combining mac ‘n cheese and meat balls into a sandwich. Yes, putting mac ‘n cheese on top of, or stuffed inside of other comfort foods is completely and totally gluttonous. But that doesn’t make it any less delicious.from
So if you’re looking for a new twist to the classic bowl of mac ‘n cheese, try this creative recipe below:
- YIELD: 4-6 Servings
- PREP: 10 mins
- COOK: 30 mins
- READY IN: 40 mins
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 -2 cups prepared macaroni cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce, store bought or homemade
- 4-6 loaves crusty bread (your preferred kind)
- 6-10 slices provolone cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients, with exception of the mac ‘n cheese until well blended. Place 2 tablespoons of mixture into the palm of your hand and then flatten it into a patty. Place a small amount of mac ‘n cheese at the centre. Fold patty around the mac ‘n cheese, pinch and cover as needed to make sure the stuffing is completed covered. Place on parchment paper an inch apart, bake for 35 -40 minutes.
- Spread marinara sauce inside of bread and fill with cooked meatballs and cheese. Place assembled sandwiches under broiler for 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
If you’ve tried this mac ‘n cheese recipe and are looking to change up other dishes, check out the spaghetti and meatball sandwich.