After teaching us how to make some awesome toasted marshmallow shot glasses, food blogger Cheri Alberts of The Watering Mouth is back. And this time she’s come up with another one of her great DIY food hacks: how to make your own peppermint shot glasses.
So how do we get started? Simply arrange the round, red-strip peppermint candies to form the shape of a flower before baking them in the oven. These melted candies will form a mouldable sheet that you can then shape by wrapping it around a proper shot glass. Watch the video below for instruction, or read the full recipe following it.
DIY Peppermint Shot Glasses
- 7 round, peppermint candies
- parchment paper
- shot glass
- cookie sheet
- beverage of your choice such as hot chocolate or Irish Cream
- Preheat your oven to 300˚F. A higher temperature result in uneven melting and yellowing of the candy.
- Cut a 6″ square of parchment paper for each glass you’re going to make. This will make it much easier to peel off the paper if you’re doing more that one.
- Place your parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Then arrange 7 candies tightly in a flower shape by placing one in the middle and the other 6 touching all around—tightly with no gaps.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. But keep an eye on it through the window, if you can.
- Time is of the essence with this last step! Remove the tray from the oven and place on a pot holder next to your upside-down shot glass. Have something cold nearby to soothe your fingers if they get too hot. Pick up the parchment paper (it’s not hot) and set it on the counter close to the shot glass. Let it cool for about 10 seconds. Pick up the parchment and let it hang vertically. Start to peel off the edge of the candy quickly. This helps it from folding over and ruining your effort. Now quickly! Pick up the candy and place it, bottom side touching the shot glass. It will naturally fold over the bottom of the shot glass, but then you’ll have to help it along by folding it further so it forms a cup shape. Once it reaches a certain point, it’s impossible to shape it anymore, so be prepared to work very quickly.
- Let it cool until it’s just warm to the touch. Be gentle and just pop it off the glass, no oil or spray required. You may have to twist a tiny bit to get it to release.
- Serve your drink of choice in the cups. They’re reusable!