Did you know that Mount Everest grows an estimated 4mm per year? Or that Pluto is smaller than Russia? There are even more crazy facts like that in this infographic created by travel website When On Earth. Check out more crazy facts below and impress your friends with some trivia.
Crazy facts around the world that sound like bullshit but are 100% true
- Mount Everest grows in height at an estimated 4mm per year.
- Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world combined.
- Although it spans over 5 timezones, all of China operates on Beijing time.
- There’s a town in Texas called Ding Dong.
- 99% of Libya is covered in desert.
- The Swiss military keeps fully stocked artillery bunkers, disguised as quant country homes, in the middle of populated villages.
- Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauoatmateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu is a hill in Taumata, New Zealand, and the longest place name on Earth.
- 61,000 people are in the air over the US at any given time on any given day.
- After Warsaw, Chicago has the largest population of Polish in the world.
- There is no land at all at the North Pole. Only ice over water.
- Alaska is the most northern, eastern and western state in the US.
- The world’s deepest underwater mailbox lies 10m deep below the surface of Susami Bay, Japan.
- The Sargasso Sea is the only sea without a coast, bounded by a system of currents in the Northern Atlantic Ocean.
- A banyan tree near Kolkata, India is bigger than the average Walmart.
- Only 4% of all languages are spoken by 96% of all people on Earth.
- New York City is further south than Rome, Italy.
- North Korea and Finland are separated by only one country: Russia.
- Pluto is smaller than Russia.
- There are 9 million more women than men in Russia.
- Russia sold Alaska to the US for $7.2 million in 1867.
- The Queen owns all the sturgeons, whales, and dolphins in the waters within 3 miles from the UK.
- If you combine England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, they’re a bit smaller than the state of Michigan.
- Sweden is so good at recycling that it runs out of garbage to recycle and imports garbage from Norway to fuel its energy programs.
- Saudi Arabia imports camels from Australia.
Discover some unbelievable places to visit before you die.