Have you ever started typing a legitimate search into Google, only to have a disturbing, funny, or crazy shit pop up as auto-complete suggestion? Why does this happen?
Well, one of the factors Google’s auto-complete takes into account is how often these similar searches are conducted. That must mean a lot of people are searching things like, “is Lady Gaga a man” or “how do I win the lottery.” This got the team at Search Factory thinking about just how much search volume there is for this crazy shit. Take a look at a some of the weird things that people search Google for below and imagine if Google was a guy and you were asking these questions:
The Top Crazy Shit People Search for on Google
- “Lady Gaga naked” – 135,000*
- “Is Santa real?” – 60,500*
- “How to win the lottery” – 40,500*
- “Why did I get married” – 40,500*
- “I hate my job” – 22,000*
- “Is Lady Gaga a man?” – 18,100*
- “Why do men have nipples?” – 18,000*
- “How to ask a guy out” – 14,800*
- “How to mend a broken heart” – 9,900*
- “How to have an affair” – 5,400*
- “How do I Google something?” – 4,400*
- “How do I get away with murder?” – 1,900*
- “How to hide a dead body” – 1,000*
- “How do I use Google” – 1,000*
- “How to make my cat love me” – 390*
- “Cat dating” – 110*
*Monthly average searches
11 and 14 seem like no brainers, seeing as how you have to use it to find the answers; the last two are just sad. And you have to think that the cops are keeping track of 12 and 13 on Google Trends.
What is the weirdest query that’s ever come up when you typed into Google? Share them in the comments below, on social media, or discover 26 crazy facts you didn’t know about Google.
Daniel is an Art Director and Graphic Designer with over a decade of experience in advertising and marketing in the Greater Toronto Area.