Mobile devices have transformed the way people engage with brands. Not only do 80% of internet users own a smartphone, but they also spend 60% of their online media consumption time on mobile platforms. From opening your marketing email to reading a post on your blog, users can access everything on both their small screens and desktop computers.
This multi-screen world makes it easy for consumers to leave and renter your marketing channels at any given time, which in turn makes it difficult for businesses to capture and maintain their audience’s attention. Mobile marketing is a strategy that aims to reach audiences on their mobile devices through websites, email, social media, video, and other mobile tools.
To engage with your audience, you will need to write, design, and share content with mobile platforms in mind. To help you create a consistent mobile experience, Red Stag Fulfillment has put together 32 data-backed trips that cover optimization features such as text size, layout, content type, and publishing time.
32 data-driven tips to optimize mobile marketing
- 67% of people expect a seamless website experience across all devices.
- 90% of users switch devices to accomplish a goal, from research to purchasing.
- A load time any longer than 3 seconds can raise a bounce rate to 53%.
- 40% of shopping searches start with general categories like “home decor” or “car tools”.
- Create scannable content: 79% of users will scan web content. Use bullets, visual hierarchy, subheadings, white space, and text chunks.
- Make buttons touchable: a size of 45 to 57 pixels to fit index finger, 72 pixels for the thumb, and 32 pixels between elements to prevent mishaps.
- Visitors give 86% of their attention to the upper two-thirds of a mobile screen. Therefore, it’s best to put the most important information above the fold.
- Use proper search boxes. A 27-character field will fit 90% of mobile searches and make it easy for users to edit.
- Visitors are 1.5 times more likely to navigate through a combo menu (combines visual and hidden links) than a hamburger menu.
- Icons and colour changes help users find items 37% faster.
- Display social share buttons to social visitors only, who are 20 times more likely to share content.
- 95% of readers view all or part of the content when it’s bigger or bolder. So try bolding the intro to your paragraphs.
- Utilize the bottom footer. It’s a more natural position for the thumb, which drives 75% of device interactions.
- Experts believe that 78% of mobile data traffic will come from video by 2020.
- Focus on strong visual messages, because 85% of videos are watched without sound.
- Live videos receive 3 times more engagement than the standard video format.
- Front load your message; brand impact is strongest within the first 10 seconds.
- Use short-form videos; they have a 53% completion rate—higher than longer video formats.
- 80% of users’ social media time is spent on mobile services.
- 9:00am is when most users are active on their devices. Therefore, it’s best to post during peak hours.
- The shorter the copy, the better. Posts with under 40 characters have 86% more engagement.
- Native videos have 4 times better performance than YouTube post links.
- Post square content; it takes up 78% more space on the newsfeed and can bring in 30-35% higher video views.
- Experts believe that 55% of social media mobile data traffic by 2020 will be video.
- By using an exclusive mobile design for email newsletters, open rates are 40% higher.
- Keep subject lines short; mobile devices only display 25-30 characters.
- Establish an email frequency. 44% of consumers dislike receiving too many emails.
- Optimize email length for devices; 53% of Android users will read 15 seconds, while 39% of iPhone users will read for just 3 seconds or less.
- Give your text breathing room. 20-40 pixels of white space around text boosts comprehension by 20%.
- A base font of 16 pixels is about the same as magazine print.
- Personalizing emails improves click-through rates by 14% and conversions by 10%.
- Time your emails for gender; men have the highest conversion rates through the afternoon, while women convert higher in the morning.
Other mobile marketing tips
- 60% of users are more likely to buy with customized location information.
- Create a local listing, because 88% of consumers go to a business after a local search.
- Mobile offers are redeemed 10 times more than print offers.
- Use SMS and MMS; text messages have a 98% open rate, and multimedia texts have a 15% engagement rate.
Tony is a Content Marketing Specialist at Siege Media. Tony helps the team with content creation and promotion. With a passion for writing inherited from his grandpa and mother, Tony hopes to continue telling stories with his content to drive profitable traffic for clients.