Do you own or run an eCommerce website? If you sell online, hopefully, you have the right products, are targeting the right market, and getting a lot of visitors. But are you struggling to convert those visitors into consumers? Your product is perfect, but why are you not able to make decent sales. Even if it’s at a competitive price, buying is most often not a rational decision. People might seem like rational beings, but more often than not, they base most of their important decisions on emotions rather than reasons.
The following infographic created by Bargain Fox should help increase your conversions. 65 Proven Statistics About E-Commerce Consumer Psychology explores the various factors that help customers decide whether or not they’ll make a purchase from your website. Exploring points such as website design, usability, loading speed, payment options, and more, the infographic explains how these areas affect a customer’s shopping decision.
For example, did you know that people still shop with their eyes? 93% of consumers consider the visual appearance of the website to be the key deciding factor over whether they make a purchase or not.
65 proven statistics about eCommerce consumer psychology
- 93% of consumers consider visual appearance to be the key deciding factor in whether or not they make a purchase.
- 52% of shoppers abandon sites and do not return because they dislike the overall aesthetics.
- 42% of users base their overall opinion of a site on its design alone.
- 96% of consumers find videos helpful when making purchase decisions online.
- Replacing images with video on a landing page increases conversions by 12.62%.
- 73% of consumers are more likely to purchase a product or service if they can watch a video explaining it beforehand.
- 58% of consumers assume companies that produce videos are more trustworthy.
- 76% of people say the most important characteristic of a website is the ease of use.
- Improvements in usability like upgrading navigation and information flow can deliver up to 83% return on investment.
- Customer purchases increased by 45% when forced registration was removed from the checkout page.
Website loading speed
- 73% of mobile internet users have encountered a website that was too slow to load.
- Amazon discovered that for every 100 milliseconds of page load time, there was a 1% decrease in sales.
- Nearly 65% of global consumers are not willing to wait more than 3 seconds for a website to load.
- Customer satisfaction drops 7% for each second a website takes to load.
- Merchants promoting PayPal Credit upfront and on pages throughout their eCommerce website reported on average 30% higher usage.
- PayPal transactions have 70% higher checkout conversions that do non-PayPal transactions.
- Added Login and Pay with Amazon reduced the average checkout time by 70 seconds and resulted in a 34% uplift in conversion rates.
- 61% of online shoppers decided not to purchase a product because it was missing a trust seal.
- Adding VeriSign or Symatec SSLs helped Blue Foundation Media to increase sales by 42%.
- VWO increased a conversion rate by 32% by adding a “100% Money Back Guarantee” badge.
ECommerce shopping cart abandonment
- 54% of consumers dropped off of a checkout process when they were presented with unexpected costs.
- Approximately US$4 trillion worth of merchandise was abandoned in online shopping carts in 2014.
- 68.63% is the average eCommerce shopping cart abandonment rate calculated based on 33 different studies.
- 36% of online shoppers didn’t finish a checkout process because they found a better price elsewhere.
- Only 58% of shoppers are satisfied with the ease of making online returns.
- 63% of US customers check the returns policy before making a purchase.
- 48% of shoppers would shop more with online retailers that offer hassle-free returns.
ECommerce customer service
- 57% of online shoppers prefer to use a phone to contact vendors.
- 76% of US shoppers view customer service as a true test of how much a brand values them.
- 27% of young Millennials will not try to resolve a customer experience failure, as compared to 13% of Baby Boomers.
- 68% of US online shoppers engaged in live chat.
- Live chat helps to increase conversions of B2B customers by at least 20%.
- 63% of US online shoppers prefer getting back to a website with live chat for a repeat purchase.
- Reviews produce an average of 18% uplift in sales.
- 77% of consumers read product reviews before making an online purchase.
- 27% of mobile users read peer reviews and feedback on smartphones when in-store.
- 44% of consumers say a review must be written within one month to be relevant.
- Adding testimonials to a website increases conversions by 34%.
- 29% of consumers think testimonials are very important for building credibility.
- Placing testimonials on lead generating pages increase conversions by 50%.
- Engaged customers are 6-times more likely to try a new product or service from the brand as soon as it becomes available.
- Customers who are engaged are also 7-times more likely to always respond to the brand’s promotional offers.
- Engaged customers are 4-times more likely to appreciate when the brand reaches out to them.
- 75% of smartphone users abandon sites that aren’t mobile optimized.
- 70% of shoppers use their mobile to look for a better price elsewhere.
- 38% of shoppers redeem coupons on their mobile devices.
- Only 40% of global consumers make at least 25% of their purchases on their mobile devices, compared to 80% of consumers in China and 65% in India.
Coupons & discounts
- 40% of eCommerce shoppers prefer receiving discounts on purchases over loyalty program points or a gift basket.
- 68% of consumers strongly believe that digital coupons have a positive impact on a retailer’s brand.
- 40% of users look for or redeem coupons on mobile devices.
- Unconditional free shipping is a number 1 criterion for making a purchase.
- Orders with free shipping average around 30% higher in value.
- 47% of shoppers indicated they would abandon a purchase if they got to the checkout and found that free shipping was not included.
Customer loyalty programs
- The average repeat customer spent 67% more in months 31-36 of his or her shopping relationship than in months zero to six.
- A shopper’s fifth purchase was 40% larger than the first, and the tenth purchase was nearly 80% larger than the first.
- 48% of customer members would like to engage with programs via a mobile device.
- 3 out of 4 eCommerce shoppers report using social media and 43% of them discovered new products as a result.
- 37% of online shoppers indicated that a company’s social media activity wasn’t a factor in their buying process.
- Only 7% of online shoppers indicated that a company’s blog was very important in their decision-making process.
Corporate social responsibility
- 66% of global respondents are willing to pay more for products and services from companies dedicated to social and environmental change.
- A product from a brand known as environmentally friendly is a purchase driver for 45% of global respondents and 58% of those willing to pay more.
- A product from a brand known for its social value is a purchase driver for 43% of global respondents and 56% of those willing to pay more.
- 93% of eCommerce shoppers like to shop small and local retailers.
- 61% of online shoppers say they find unique products unavailable elsewhere by shopping at local online retailers.
- 40% of consumers shop at small and local retailers to support the local business community.